The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Friday, September 11, 2020

Not in the Habit - House Burned Down

 Due to the wildfires in Oregon, Tuesday morning our home burned down. I did come in on Tuesday for a bit. Wednesday I came in to be sure all books and textbooks from lockers would be checked in before we had the Taking Care of Business day. I noticed up in the upper halls, that there were bags of items from the lockers that still had books in them from Leslie, so I had to spend that afternoon regoing through all the upper hall bags to search for books. I found two entire cart shelves of books. Huzzah. It was hard to do with the mask on, very hot, but I got them all pulled. We are still waiting for the lower halls to be cleaned out. So I did those books on Thursday. I filled out a library slide for the family night and sent that to our principal about what is going on for the TCoBd on the book side of things. Sometime in here I asked all the teachers that might need books if they did indeed need them for the TCoBd and got that list together. I attended some meetings and missed others. We got direction that the TCoBd's were going to be postponed because of all the smoke in the air, so it became not quite as important, we are scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday. I got all the books checked in and got most of the books and textbooks all put away. I have had a lot on my mind, so much needs to be addressed with the house. I know I did a lot of work. Almost completed my mandatory training. Still have some other documents to read before I can sign off on them. But I'm tired, it's been an emotional week. My school has been so supportive. It really has made me realize again, how amazing people can be. The care, concern, wanting to help have been nearly constant since we escaped the fire, then found out that yes, our house was gone. I am so lucky to work where I do. Miracle we made it out of the house alive, but it's no miracle that people are reaching out to help us. That's how amazing they are. We are blessed beyond belief.

No comments: