The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Friday, June 12, 2020

I Got in My Library Today!!

Totally was so busy yesterday I didn't do this! I was so happy though that I actually got to be in my library!! I had so much to do and our principal was so sweet to allow me to come in because then she had to be in as well. When we had left in March, we had thought it was just for a couple of weeks, so all the books I had out on display I just laid them flat. So, I had to go around the library and actually shelve all of those. Then I had books waiting to be shelved and some to check in, so I checked in the books I needed to and then had to shelve all of those. I took down my last display, the liberation of Auschwitz and threw all the paper away, shelved the books from there, took apart my 'shelves' putting away the props I use to stagger the shelves for display purposes. Put away all the books for repair I had in my office and put them in a box in the back textbook room, put away the Rubik's cubes into my personal closet, took the two blue bins of MakerSpace stuff and put them into the Back, Back Room. I had taken in the books I had brought home in March and finished reading and checked them in and put them away. Grabbed the items I thought I might need over the summer just in case I got the OK to get my last order from the warehouse... I am hoping!! And my dystopian list to compare against the other dystopian lists on the Destiny Discover because a lot of books don't come up as dystopian when you do a search for that in the regular Destiny program. I had sent out a 'Let's Be Proactive!' Email yesterday with some thoughts on when/if we come back:

  1. Only hardback books to easily clean
  2. Only face front books on shelves - no more spines - this will take a lot of work to decimate our collections down. I'm thinking five would be the most we could get on a shelf.
  3. Shelves would be tighter, so we can add in more shelving.
  4. Each book has a QR code for it, or a 'Powell's' type description so books don't have to be picked up unless they will be checked out.
  5. If the book is an eBook - the hard copy goes.
  6. No book over 5 years old. That's right, Counting by 7's - it's gone.
  7. Pulled books donated to shelters, other smaller districts, etc.
  8. Carts out for patrons that need to read a few pages before check out, no? book goes on the cart to be cleaned before being put back on shelves - do we have to wait 3 days if we clean with sterile wipes??
Just a few thoughts. Any more?? 

There were some other thoughts that came back from our group. Our PA mentioned the ODE library requirements that just came out and that our district Risk Management team would also be partly in control of that. Others mentioned getting eReaders out to kids, taking carts into classrooms rather than having them come in the library, just boxing up other books for now rather than getting rid of them, the lack of copies of eBooks - one lamented that only one copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books would not be good! So we will see what actions we need to take as the summer goes on. My principal heard me and asked if I'd like to be on a committee this summer to help with these questions and I suggested our PA, since he's not on any committee and is a bit baffled that no one has asked him to be on any. Then I started reading It Wasn't Me  and it was pretty good. I actually finished it late Thursday night and like the concept of Restorative Justice. Students need to read it!

No comments: