The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Monday, November 16, 2020

Professional Developement

 I had a pretty easy time with this today because Library Con Live was on November 5th, and I got to pick the recordings of the sessions I would have attended, but was too busy for! I listened to the Opening Keynote with Jerry Craft - Have New Boy and Class Act is on order! I loved that he drew Jordan while he was talking! Very cool! He talked about inherent racism a bit with his own experience. He was at a light when a cop pulled up and rolled down his window and said "We're going to have to do something about that." Jerry freaked out, did he need to escape through his moon roof? Did he need to pull over? What was going to happen?? Then the cop pointed to his hand and Jerry was wearing a Giants glove and they had just traded a great player. He has a scene in his book where there's a cop with a dog and same kind of interaction, nice but the thoughts of what could happen came out. Interesting. He also talked about that making a novel into a graphic novel has a reputation of kind of being a 'Clif Note' of the novel, but no, there's other things that happen in graphic novels. In New Kid there are actually story lines going on in the drawings that are never mentioned. I might have to go back and relook at that one! Then Middle Grade Speculative Fiction, kind of a scifi/fantasy era and I put three of the books on my winter order. Then I listened to Finding Ourselves: Grappling with Finding our Identity. So authors speaking on their own identities. I liked the one part where one author said that sometimes they feel like they're not trans enough or bi enough or whatever enough? And learning to be comfortable with what makes you feel comfortable was nice. Same on all sides I think! 

No comments: