The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Friday, June 8, 2018

Checking, Shelving & Weeding

I had all the carts from locker clean out in my office last night so I had my aides start checking things in this morning. We were on an assembly schedule so periods were only about 40 minutes long. Had them check in books, sort the textbooks into piles. I put the math books away, they did the science books. I took out Spanish books and put notes on them for the number that was written on the textblock. Sent off more books to their homes. Got all our fiction books put away and then started to weed. I had 128 pages of books that had been checked out less than one time in the last 5 years! Since we're moving books next Tuesday, thought I'd get a jump on clearing up the fiction, no matter how much I thought I'd like to keep it! Time to keep what the kids want, the good stuff, award winners and diverse books. Already have four shelves of books to discard (meaning withdrawn, offered to my teachers, then to other schools, then to students) and haven't finished the 'B's' yet.  What a project I've started! And I did some laminating today. Favorite bookmark I did? Someone made a hatchet shape bookmark for  Hatchet by Paulsen. Made me smile.

No comments: