The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Tuesday November 20th

Finished getting in all my 18.75 hours today for the two days we work this week. Well, I really worked 19.25 hours since I was still packing up the Scholastic Book Fair and it took longer than I thought. We get Wednesday (today!) off, but still have to put in the hours as if we did work. The book fair was still out from last night and we had conferences all morning. I took a deep breath and started doing my fiction inventory of M - Q. Easy Peasy, until I noticed that my report on what was still unaccounted for was not M - Q, but M - Z...Whoa! I called my office and they were like, yeah, you can’t do a section, you have to do it all...great. I was so excited that I had done the section in just an hour and a half, feeling techie with using a scanner on a wireless Chromebook. Le sigh. So, I had them cancel that (remember I said on Monday that I had obviously not listened to something about inventory in a meeting...) and I started a new one for all of our fiction. Luckily, it added in the M - Q’s that I had already done! But the shelves are low and I ended up crawling on the floor all along our windows. My knees hurt! I got all the way to L, so fiction books A - Q are all done. I had to pick up all the book fair stuff that I had on tables for the PD for the early afternoon, so I got that all ready. I took my one hour lunch, ate and then walked four times around the school and went in to locate the missing books from what I had done. Some were on my display, but most were back on the lit shelves. Some I had converted to lit books, but some I hadn’t. I got my missing list down to just one page. I felt good about that! I also found some missing books that were from when I pulled books to withdraw, but never did actually withdraw them! I had them stashed with some reference books under a table in my back room and had forgotten all about them. Where’s that rolly eye smiley when you need it? After the PD was over, I put the book fair stuff back out on the tables for the next set of conference times. Did some laminating worked on finding more lost books, but since I would have to inventory behind all the book fair stuff, I decided to just do it later. I still have more books I need to withdraw from that section, so I may do that first. Had all the teachers in today buying books, more families in. Helped out students who needed to check out books, textbooks or just check their accounts. I had to start packing up the fair. So I put out boxes and put the books in them, but left the tops open for people to browse. Ended up with about $1,500 in sales and perhaps some online orders will happen as well. I bought five for the library, but want to use the money to get some new kinetic stools and maybe some MakerSpace kits. I finally got everything packed up and grabbed a pair of scissors to cut off the lock ties off the big book fair sign I put on the chain link fence. Grabbed the two standing signs and put them in the back of the car, went to cut off the lock ties and head to meet my friend and the scissors broke! Really??? So I had to go back into the school and get some scissors. A long day, but glad I have Wednesday off and can relax! I hope you all have many blessings to celebrate this long weekend. I have heard that you have to ‘savour’ the good in your life to make it stick. Savor the day, the blessings and I’ll be back Monday!

No comments: