The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Sunday, September 12, 2021

One Year Ago

One year ago I fled my home on the Little North Fork River as the canyon filled with flames, driven by wind and we learned that our new-to-us home burned to the ground. We had already been in love with it after only 2 months. My principal had called as we drove out through the flames that had not yet engulfed our home, but we knew, it would soon be gone. She was so kind, but I decided to come in anyway and work so I wouldn't have to think about what was probably happening, but hoped not. Today I waited as I worked on putting the library back together. There was a morning meeting (I was a bit late because I had to wait for a pilot car on our highway as crews cleared out burned out trees - is that a valid excuse for being late??), I worked on putting up books, cleaning up areas, putting up bookends for shelves and bringing out 20 boxes of the Chromebooks our students would pick up the next day. The inspection to say yes, we could move in was at 2pm. I answered questions from teachers, helped herd students that were not sure where to go to the right classroom. An exciting day! Finally, about 3:45, I got the call, we were in, exactly one year after we lost everything. A blessing, a fantastic day. We were so happy!

September 9th - Chromebook handouts. All day. Every period but one. Ten classes came through! Some students even checked out books :)  Tired, happy, ready to head out to my new home after I did some cleaning on the rental we had.

September 10th - More Chromebook checkouts. 13 classes today. I got to eat lunch during the Advisory period since there was a class in the library during that half an hour. And today, straight home!

Great thanks to our Assistant Principal for setting up a sign up sheet so it was orderly and I was able to do it all myself. That was a great tool as one class cycled in, and then out. A few moments and the next class was in. Tired, but 40 boxes, 12 Chromebooks each, 480 were checked out and I do have two more classes on Monday that couldn't fit in Friday. 

No comments: