The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

World War I

Today I did two book talks on four of our World War I books. I had students check out three of them. I didn’t talk much about them, just let the books speak for themselves. That made me very happy. They need to read, they need to remember. They need to hear the voices that are now silent, when they were not silent. We are lucky we have the books to hear them. I cleaned out files today. I had brought in some of the files from my mom, and replaced the khaki greenish ones with her pretty blue, green, yellow and red ones. I took the ones I piled on my desk and took them upstairs for others to use. I threw out a ton of manuals. We had multiple manuals for things like projectors (we no longer have), ten of the same manual for one type of projector. Things like that. Old books lists from before I was there, and more of the like. Most of them I had never even looked at for the last four years, so time to purge. Took the laminated covers and recovered all the books. That took awhile. I did about 15 books. Had to do a copy status and many were ‘out for repairs’ so I had to go in and change that. Had two incidents this morning. One was a student who had three books checked out and she walked through the gates and they went off. So, I had her come back in. She had just turned in two books not checked in yet, and still had one. So I looked her up and she had NO books checked out to her. Then another student had four books in his fines. His mom was there and she said that she and he were pretty sure he had turned all in but one, and sure enough, I hunted them down on the shelves and we found three of them. I was so embarrassed on both accounts. So I talked to all my aides today about making sure that we check books out, and we make sure they get checked in. Had my Battle of the Books students in today. I have three great students for A lunch, but only one showed up for B lunch and said one of the other students said he wasn’t going to come anymore. So that made the decision easy for me that our team is on the A lunch. They did a great job on the questions today and I’m hoping they hang on until the end! One more day of the first six weeks. Out of my twelve aides I only have one, yes one, books review. Not too happy about that. I won’t fail them, but I may have to put a note that there is work they needed to do, but chose not to. Makes me sad. I’ve never had that happen before. :(    

No comments: