The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

7 AM

There was no way I'd make the opening since I had to do my senior shopping, but I did get up at 6am so I could get out and maybe get back by 7, and only about 10 minutes late for the Gale and Google Classroom Webinar. Then it ended at 7:30! At least I got to listen to some of it, though I would rather have been able to take it a bit slower and actually work along with the webinar. Then I listened to our company video newsletter and it was cute, Star Wars theme! (*I was putting away groceries, but listening!) A quiet day for me, only the noon optional staff meeting. So, computer time to go through other resources. Oooo! Daniel Radcliffe reading the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - absolutely brilliant! Loved it and sent that off to our Language Arts team. I also noticed that there was art shown during the reading and down below was the invitation for students to submit artwork, so I sent that off to our art teacher as well. Had to take a walk (Yes! Got break time in and getting off the computer for 10 minutes!) Then I sent ponderings to our principal and then copied that to our assistant principal. I had, or have an aide that really struggled in school and they are actually doing well in this online world. I've heard that from my high school friends as well, that there are definite students that seem to be doing so much better online than in school, and other who loved it there and are not doing well at home. So I sent this out:
So I hear from our teachers that students who didn't do well in school are doing work! And other students that were, aren't. Some things that prance through my brain, what if we gave students a choice? Those that want to continue online, if they show they are getting it done, can be online. Those that need that people contact, can come back. Or half day at school,  half day at home. Half would come the morning shift, they go home, then the other half would be online in the morning, and come in the afternoon. There seem to be so many options that could come into play. The world has changed, and will not return to what it was before, how do we see that change? How do we sculpt a new environment for our learners, our teachers?  
My principal said yes, there are others in the district noticing this as well and there will be talk about what is happening. She wrote back: Your ponderings are ones that I (and many other folks in the district) share.  I think this will open our eyes to new ways of doing things that we wouldn’t have thought possible before.  Thanks for sharing!
I think today I will make cards for my aides, just to check in on them and one in particular that seemed to have a rough go at school, but seems to be doing better online. I only have six, so not much of an effort, but I think it will be well worth while. Optional staff meeting was very short, pulled out my card stuff, vacuumed my 'office'. Lunch time then card making!

No comments: