The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Four Days Off!

I was excited to get back to work today! I enjoyed the weekend and had some great times (got a new book from one of three Little Free Libraries I passed on Sunday while honoring our Veteran's at our local cemetery and then walked around the streets there - hardback copy of Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures! Score!). Started the day trolling through my emails. Looked up some books and did put one on my order list. The others I already have on there. Listened to the Monday announcements, went through the SEL lesson the students get today. Did two birthday padlets and thinking of doing one for people to put in the books they are reading? Maybe? Listened to the McNary choir sing 'Smile' made me cry. Students are so talented in so many ways! Got an email from a student I emailed last week and they are going to get the things I mentioned turned in...to the best of their ability! But good to hear back from them and I sent the note to their teachers too. Sent out a welcome to a new staff member - I didn't have time to do that last week, but I did email the new language arts teacher. Sent out an email to our teachers to have them pick out a free book from Scholastic since I need to use up some of that money. I've only heard from one student from the Book Challenge Spirit Week, so I need more books! One teacher got back to me already, but the book she'd like is not on my lists! So, I told her to go and look again. Dear Martin is not a middle grade book but I know we have 8th graders that would like it, but I can't buy it. So much more complicated than I thought!! I had to go in and invite them to give me a wish list, send out invites to each one personally, ugh. Hopefully they will be able to find something they can use for their library. I'm way past break, out for a quick walk around the block! Cleaned up my emails and had to make some folders. Some teachers got back to me on the books they wanted, so I added those to my list. Checked out the new School Library Journal magazine, and got a title off there for in the fall. Checked on a couple of others that turned out to be YA and too old for our Middle School crowd. Also checked out the new story coming out by J. K. Rowling, the Ickabog. The chapters are online and they are looking for artists. When it publishes in November, the profits will go to support corona victims. Nicely done J. K. 

No comments: