The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Friday, May 1, 2020

May Day Mars Day

I attended my first meet today and signed up to try and contact a student that is an aide for me. I'm checking Synergy on them, and the classes are all gone, but the header still says what class they should be in at the moment! I finally got all seven classes and teachers. Huzzah! So I can ask their teachers if they've heard anything from them. Had a blast at the LA 7 meet this morning. I love hearing the students talk. The interaction from teachers. Their focus this week was on what it would be like to live on another planet. Like Mars! They had articles to read and such, padlet to write on. Sharing stories. Very fun. Then the teachers and I talk afterwards. What we heard, what we noticed, how about next week. I love being a part of the staff this way. We also talked about Flipgrid and I'm still learning, but our IC will have a training on that next week I think.  Sent out the writing prompts from Jason Reynolds to the LA staff. I particularly loved his focus on art prompt. I also sent that one to our art teacher. Had a very, very quick staff meeting. Then I went out and took a quick walk before our district meeting at 1. I liked the quote that said "We are grading privilege." when we look at who and what we're grading. Kids with computers, internet, focused parents. What about those that don't have that? I am encouraged that I don't need to do it all. But at the same time I feel my contribution is so much less than before. We also learned that our budget may not be the same next year. Some of that budget is based on business, and with businesses shutting down, being forced to rethink, we may not have that same revenue coming from that sector. I think I'm pretty safe, but we'll see. I just need one more year! Got an email today that my 5th grade pen pal contribution is ended for this year. Another meet to scratch off the list. My pika meeting got cancelled for this month as well. I didn't even have anything on my personal hanging calendar for April except that I had put in my birthday when I got it. Got to flip that sucker out of my life. Sad that it will rain all weekend. And the rain started early. It wasn't supposed to start until tonight, but started around noon. Le sigh. 

No comments: