The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Ursula K. LeGuin


I was so sad to hear of her passing. I knew she lived just north of us up in Portland. What happens when an icon dies? There is a piece of us that aches, the stories end. I've read many of her books and will be sure they stay on my shelves. Today had some lovely bits. I gave two book talks. Trotted out the cart with all the new hardbacks on it for students to peruse. Gathered in more books for Mrs. B, sending out requests for Bud, Not Buddy. She was very excited to know if we could get those in. She found a new curriculum to go with that and was excited to see if we could find enough copies. Had to take away four cell phones during lunch today. Got in a few more book reviews for my binder. Tomorrow is the last day of the semester. Got in attendance sheets for Mrs. D for their new math books to check out 'Kercheski' style, so I had to enlarge them and get them ready to check out. Managed to get one class done, so will work on the rest tomorrow. Put away all the non-fiction I had to do and by the end of 7th had a whole half shelf again to put away! I'll do that tomorrow! Had more students down in the library today. As classes wrap up their work, some teachers sent students down who were done. I finally had to send out a notice to remind them that if they send students down, they need to come down with work. A few students were quite at loose ends and would have profited by a worksheet or two for focus! Then after school, we had the after school program come in and I looked up to see one of our older books (Jungle Book from 1968) go flying through the air. I was so angry at those students!!! I handed referrals to the fellow that runs the program and said I'd back him up. I was angry. Good thing I needed to go and work out and do yoga! Some days....some kids.

No comments: