The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Open House

A nice morning and I got out our tall roller ladder with the nice stairs and rails and got it into the library to take down our old 'Nonfiction' letters and the numbers where our fiction now is. I got the ones in the old computer lab down and put up new ones so there is some direction back there. I have more to do, but got the basics down. Listened to a webinar while I had lunch today. Had two classes in and did some book talks for them. Talked to our principal about getting the iPads and Chromebooks out to our students who need that extra support so I put together a list of teachers and the students they have now that had those devices last year and sent that out. Then I looked at our school calendar to see if our classes were coming in and ah, it says that the AVID family night will be in the library right after the Open House (which I didn't think anyone would come into!). And the library looks a real mess!! So I rushed around and started to straighten shelves and display books and so yes, I stayed over about half an hour, but the library looks at least presentable if anyone does walk in! One of the teachers thought the library would be too small for the meeting, but you never know. I'd rather prepare for the company than not! We also had maintenance and technology in to try and fix the doors into the library. They work, most of the time, but they still glitch out every great once in awhile. So our evening custodian got on it and finally one of the maintenance people went in and found that some of the wires in the door handle were crushed and replaced them so hopefully we will be good to go! I was excited that he was the first one to realize a problem, and fix it! So we'll see what happens tomorrow! I also started to check over the cart of books I withdrew to put new (Discarded) stickers over the barcodes and blank stickers over the spine labels. Hopefully that will stop anyone from thinking a real library book is a withdrawn one! Also gives me a look to see if my aides did all the work I asked them to do in crossing out all the 'Leslie' stamps. Missed some stuff, but mostly pretty good! Worked on my new book spine as well! I wish I had them all done, but it's been busy. So busy I hadn't even looked at my book requests from other schools. One I said no to, since it was a brand new book, the others I got ready and sent them off! And for the first time, I had both lunches into the library. The kids loved it!

No comments: