The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Cleaning House

Today I had to make some decisions about boys in the library during lunch. I sent four boys outside to play rather than play on the furniture in the library. And a group of nine that I have had to constantly ask to settle down, be quieter, chill I finally said they were out and could not come back. I’ve been dealing with their behavior all last year and had already banned them once this year. I was really sad that a student came in yesterday when the group was here and asked if I had noise cancelling headphones, no I said. He picked up all his stuff and left. That made me sad. And I was sad the group of students pushed me into that decision. Had the MakerSpace cart out today and a lot of students asked to do string art, so they picked out boards and a template, then got a thumbtack to prick holes through the paper and then use the nails to make the design. I quickly ordered more nails! I worked on some origami leaves and have those hanging on the cart now. Worked on my display and had my second period aide work on the tissue paper backdrop for it. I actually made some great heads for it! I’ll post a picture when it’s done. I brought out all the new group books and got them all displayed. Half out on the display, the other half are in the back. Chromecarts went in and out. I moved the one full cart to the right of the aide desk, and put the bigger one on the left. So glad it is out of my office! So glad the one cart fit in the space between the desk and the door! Worked on a Modge Pod project. Started a new book. Had email conversations about QR codes and how that might work. Students are not allowed to use their phones at school, so we were thinking about how to do QR codes using iPads maybe, or their Chromebooks? Sometimes the space between a great thought and how to put it into practice takes a bit of finagling. Thank Goodness it’s Thursday!

No comments: