The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Halloween Genre

I did it. Cut out about 2/3rds of the Goosebumps. I had nearly three shelves of them on a cart because they were over in my reference section, because it had room! It doesn't anymore! So they were just wandering around. But today I had them out because Mrs. S brought in her classes and I gave a sort of book talk on creepy books. I was funny because I admitted I didn't like the Halloween genre. I told them keywords to look for in the search. I did point out the other books, and gave a pep talk on the one creepy author that I have read, Mr. Edgar Allen Poe! I told them he was the Stephen King of his day, and on that note, no, we did not have any Stephen King. They were all 'NO!!' I told them to go to Salem Public! We started tardy sweeps yesterday and did three more today. So they gather the students that didn't make it to class and bring them to the library. We were full for all the sweeps. I decided to start going through the Goosebumps and anything that hadn't been checked out since 2016 went in the withdraw pile. Some of them were printed in 1989! And they sure looked like it! I got in my announcement for STEAM in the library and made a poster to put in the hallway. I think I have to pitch it more! So tomorrow I will put out the KEVA Blocks and my electronic build case and see if I can get students to sign up! So many play the games in the library, checkers, chess, connect four, Uno, I hope I get enough people to do this. I also signed up for the Rubik's mosaic from the lending library. I asked for 50 blocks and they send out 25 guides. So they will come after the winter break for six weeks. I'm excited for them to come and I hope the students are too. I worked on my orders and got in more labels and sharpies from stores. I also got an opportunity to show Ms. C our textbooks. How old they are. How beat up they are. She even took pictures of our Realidades 1 books and echoed my sentiments, that students look at the class and electives when they see the condition of the books that they are handed. Another serendipitous moment!

No comments: