The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Saturday, April 25, 2020

YALLSTAYHOME Book Fest

Yes, a special Saturday edition of The View From the Leslie Library Windows, except really, it's from my windows at home. Watched three Zoom meetings from the YALLSTAYHOME book fest. It was great, saw some of my favorite Middle Grade authors and enjoyed the three meets I was on! Now I'm off to walk! The sun is out and the road is calling. Now for my notes on Saturday! The opening Keynote was good with a role out of Jo and Laurie - now I thought they did a remake of Jo with a modern day Laurie. I had forgotten that Laurie was the boy next door and her best friend. So, I'm wondering if this is a middle grade book? Well, Titlewave wasn't much help, they brand it YA, so I doubt our students will read it. I also attended Creativity in the Time of Corona - most of the authors talked about being kind to themselves and we all need to be kinder to ourselves. Realizing that you will have an off day and that it's OK. Some days, it is enough to survive. My favorite session was the PJ Cosplay edition - that was so hysterical! Shannon Hale came on in a Rainbow Dash onzie! Even put the hood up a few times! She talked about that her worst review said that she was larded and glacial. Oh my! A new book, but only rated 3-6 grade is Diana Princess of the Amazons. Wonder Woman as a kid, the only kid on the island and is clumsy, and not really any good at anything. Holly Goldberg Sloan said she would love to live in the world of Harry Potter. That her favorite word is 'friend' and what she's learned most about this time is that a friend is a friend forever. She has reconnected with old school friends from Eugene (yeah Oregon!) and they are still great friends! Carlos Hernandez was dressed as a lion and talked about his new Sal and Gabi book. And a favorite word - kakastacik?? That's my phonetic version anyways! They had fast question rounds and the energy and fun was exciting! Loved it. Hope next year it is online as well since I probably would never go to it (money plus aversion to Southern California!). Glad I sat in! So worth while!

No comments: