The daily life of a Middle School Library Media Assistant.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Sun!


The sun is shining right onto my computer face, ugh, will have to move it or maybe the sun will move behind one of the trees behind me. Starting the day with reading over the guidelines coming up for long distance learning. The Distance Learning Resources. In the Secondary Education Distance Learning Guidelines there is a point in there that students need to read at least one hour a week. That is quite a low minimum, but so very glad that we have been beefing up our online books the last several years! The Middle School Distance Planning Overview. I am looking at all of these since I've signed up to be a resource for the Language Arts classes and I need to know how they are going to work that and be ready for questions about not only book access, but also our other resources. Mondays will be a key date for seeing what lesson plans are for the week. Now to check out the Language Arts shared documents. Looking at the ELA Grade 6 Digital Learning Standards Map 2020: Looks like they are doing Argumentative Essays, so I will be sure to direct them to the Opposing Viewpoints in our OSLIS portal. Love, love, LOVE all the reading resources at the bottom of that! Great job Kari Caulder for getting those all in one place!! Amazing! Love the Library of Congress link! Grade 7 is going to be working on Creating Literature - that would be the Writing Fiction area. I'll have to go through our online resources, I have lots in the library, but not accessible. Perhaps direct them to being Pen Pals? Like I Will Always Write You Back - even though it is non-fiction, just the idea of sharing your life, and letting the writing take off from there might help some of the students. Perhaps even share Camp Nanowrimo for some ideas. April is also poetry month and a lot of students are getting into that with Kwame Alexander and our novels in verse. Now onto 8th grade - Utilizing Narrative Skills. I'll have to look at some things. Maybe suggest plays? Those are all narrative! I know the teachers will have their own ways to handle things and I'm just another resource for them to use. I am always so impressed by our teaching staff and they are so way beyond in their thinking of how to teach students. Just amazing to watch them work and see what they do. Sent a note of encouragement to our IC - she gave me a great note months ago, so I'm turning it around and back at her! Not much for the math DL, but checking them all out anyways. Science too. Social Studies, there we go. Aztecs, Indigenous peoples, Oceania and Africa - all great for our resources. Justice and Equity and Equality for the 8th graders. There are some links, but not to our media resources. I'll bring that up at our LMA meeting today. That's it for now, I'll be back later. Had our noon meeting, they are getting shorter and shorter! There is so much work for the teachers to do, it's a good thing. Checking in once a day is good, information is good, then let us go to work! I have another meeting at 2, and will be working on some other things between now and then, like lunch! Our LMSS meeting went for over an hour and it was the first time we'd all gotten together. We talked that technology is the only ones who can reset passwords (we used to be able to do that!). Asking for feedback on what eBooks we might purchase or beef up for online use. Moving our Axis360 move up the Library page so it's easily seen. That teachers can add time for individual reading over the district's one hour a week requirement. And one LMA used Flipbooks to start doing book talks so she sent us an example. I'm sure there was more, but those were the main ones I jotted down. Have I mentioned yet in this time that I love my job?? Yes, I do.

No comments: